Check out these resources and classroom activities to prepare students to see The Island! We’re thrilled to offer them as a complement to our Student Matinee program, and we hope they enrich your experience of this production.
- Synopsis, Characters, and Antigone: Read a brief synopsis of The Island, the play’s characters, and a summary of Antigone — the play John and Winston are rehearsing in The Island.
- Historical Background, Dramaturgy, and Design: Take a look at these texts and resources to explore the history behind The Island, its dramaturgy, and the design of Court Theatre’s production.
- Student Vocabulary Activity: Find two vocabulary activities around the word “colonialism.”
- Pre-show Chalk Talk Activity: This Chalk Talk will guide students as they consider themes and ideas explored in The Island.
- Post-show Discussion Activity: In this round robin discussion, students choose questions about The Island that are most interesting to them to discuss in small groups.
- Kinship, Conviviality, and Fugard’s The Island: Read University of Chicago Classics professor Patrice Rankine’s thoughts on The Island.
- In Conversation with Gabrielle Randle-Bent: Learn about Director and Court’s Associate Artistic Director Gabrielle Randle-Bent‘s approach to The Island.
Photos and Videos
We’d love to hear what you think of our Learning Guides! Please complete this brief survey to share your feedback.
|Questions, comments, or concerns? Please contact Kate Wiseman, Education Programs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org|