Historical Background, Dramaturgy, and Design
These texts and resources explore the history behind The Island, its dramaturgy, and design. Take a look and learn more!
- Experience a virtual tour of Robben Island, led by former political prisoner Vusumsi Mcongo
- Read a brief history of Robben Island and Apartheid
- Check out the Apartheid Museum‘s digital version of its permanent exhibition
- Learn about The Serpent Players, the theatre company that originally produced The Island
- Read a brief history of the colonization of South Africa
- Explore the South African languages present in The Island
- Overview of languages in South Africa
- Background of the Xhosa people
- Background of Afrikaans
- Athol Fugard Glossary
- Watch a biography of Nelson Mandela, one of Robben Island’s most famous political prisoners
- What is Devised Theatre?: The Island has its origins in devised theatre – but what is it? How did it influence the creation of this play?
- More Than Brothers: The Island Dramaturg Matthew Randle-Bent explores comradeship and resistance.
- Behind the Scenes: Learn about the background, context, and creative decisions informing the costume and set designs of The Island
- Culture and Region as Told Through Props: Properties Master Lara Musard offers a behind-the-scenes look at the props that enrich The Island.