Check out these resources for academics, enthusiasts, educators to support your learning and viewing of Oedipus Rex.
- Synopsis and Characters: Read a brief synopsis of Oedipus Rex and review the cast of characters in this complex family tree!
- Historical Background, Dramaturgy, and Design: Explore the history of Oedipus Rex, its rich dramaturgy, and the design of Court Theatre’s production.
Activities and Resources
- Prophecy Activity: Try out prophesying for yourself! This writing activity invites creativity and builds skills around audience, purpose, and tone.
- Gods and Rulers Activity: What institutions and figures do we treat as deities in our society today? This activity will drive discussion and give students an opportunity to dig into their visual creativity.
- Additional Listening, Learning, and Viewing: Check out this curated list of videos, podcasts, and further reading to dig deeper into Sophocles and the world of Oedipus!
- Oedipus and Agency: UChicago Professor Sarah Nooter explores questions of agency, truth, and fate in Sophocles’s Oedipus Rex.
- How did we get to Colonus? Understanding Gospel and the Oedipus Family Tree: Untangle the web of Oedipus’s family tree, his life, and the order of events of Oedipus Rex.
Photos and Videos
We’d love to hear what you think of our Learning Guides! Please complete this brief survey to share your feedback.