5 Stars “This Invisible Man should be seen far and wide.” -TimeOut Chicago
“must-see … remarkable piece of made-in-Chicago theater that deserves to attract national attention” -Chicago Tribune
“hypnotic… a galvanic, emotionally fevered world premiere.” -Sun-Times
A landmark American novel comes to life on the stage at Court Theatre. Ralph Ellison’s classic story of a young African American man’s search for identity blazes with luminous theatricality. Adapted by Oscar-nominated filmmaker Oren Jacoby, Invisible Man marks the first Chicago appearance by award-winning New York City director Christopher McElroen, a cofounder of the Classical Theatre of Harlem.
Invisible Man is produced in association with Christopher McElroen Productions.
This production is made possible in part by The Ralph and Fanny Ellison Charitable Trust.
Special Thanks to John Callahan, Literary Executor.
Invisible Man was developed with support from the August Wilson Center; University of Iowa; University of North Carolina Wilmington; New York University; Pace University; Professor Kenneth Warren; Avon Kirkland; the University of Chicago Office of the Provost; the Center for the Study of Race, Politics and Culture at the University of Chicago; Peter Altman; Michael Rogers; Phil Schaap; John Silberman; Gordon Skinner; The Tribeca Film Institute; Joe Urla; and Donn Zaretsky.
- MC, Emerson Jr., Brother Jack, EnsembleLance Stuart Baker
- Mattie Lou, Old Woman, EnsembleKimm Beavers
- Miss Mary, EnsembleTracey Bonner
- Invisible ManTeagle F. Bougere
- Tatlock, Sylvester, EnsembleChris Boykin
- Grandfather, Burnside, Yam Man, EnsembleKenn E. Head
- Jackson, Mr. Norton, Marshall, EnsembleBill McGough
- Trueblood, Ras, EnsemblePaul Oakley Stovall
- Preacher, Big Halley, Barrellhouse, EnsembleA.C. Smith
- Stripper, Nurse, Secretary, Emma, EnsembleJulia Watt