“This is a staging of intelligence and emotion. It gives us Stoppard’s heart, as well as his mind.” -Chicago Tribune
“magnificent performances by Broadway veteran Paxton Whitehead and Chicago actor Guy Adkins as the old and young Housman” -Reader
“Newell’s perfect casting imbues this play with a great depth of emotion in the midst of all the scholarship… Paxton Whitehead gives a striking performance … Guy Adkins, perhaps the finest actor in Chicago, is brilliant” -Centerstage
As sweeping in scope as Stoppard’s Travesties, The Invention of Love also uses imagination and memory to follow its protagonist A. E. Housman, an aged poet and classics scholar, through his lifelong though unrealized love affair with a fellow Oxford student. At a time when Parliament condemned acts of “gross indecency,” it was only through his poetic work that Housman could express his unrequited passion.
- AEH, A.E. Housman, aged 77Paxton Whitehead
- Housman, A.E. Housman, aged 18-36Guy Adkins
- Alfred William Pollard/Jerome K. JeromeBruch Reed
- Moses John JacksonMartin Yurek
- Charon, Ferryman of the Underworld/Chairman of Selection CommitteeMaury Cooper
- Mark Pattison/John Percival PostgateRon Butts
- Walter Pater/W.T. SteadLance Stuart Baker
- John Ruskin/Frank HarrisRaymond Fox
- Benjamin Jowett/Henry LabouchereLarry Neumann Jr.
- Robinson Ellis/Oscar Wilde, aged 41/BunthorneRay Frewen
- Balliol student/ChamberlainChristian Kohn
- Katharine HousmanJennifer Kern
- Members of Selection CommitteeLance Stuart Baker
- Raymond Fox
- Larry Neumann Jr.