Court Theatre, a department of the University of Chicago in Hyde Park, is seeking candidates for a Company Manager of Special Projects.
Department: Court Theatre Production Department
Position: Company Manager of Special Projects (CMSP)
Classification: Temporary (9 months), Hourly, Overtime Eligible
Reports To: Director of Production
The Company Manager of Special Projects will work in close collaboration with the Production Management department to cover two main areas: COVID Safety Management for Court Production Groups and preparing for and executing all company management needs for the transfer of The Gospel at Colonus to the Getty Villa in August 2023. The CMSP may also provide collaborative support to the APM on routine Company Management tasks including hosting receptions (first rehearsal, first preview, opening, closing), and travel and hospitality needs for out-of-town artists during Court’s 22-23 season.
This is a nine-month, temporary position beginning in January 2023 and concluding at the end of September 2023. This non-exempt, hourly position will be part time (avg. 20 hours/week) from January – April, and full time (avg. 37.5 hours/week) from May – October 7, 2023. The hourly rate for this position is $22/hr.
Gospel Tour Company Management Duties:
- Plan and facilitate all travel, transportation, housing, and hospitality needs for the Gospel company to travel to, and be in residence at, the Getty Villa in Malibu, California in August and September 2023.
- With the Director of Production, develop and refine the budget for all company management expenses related to the Gospel tour.
- Research options and secure housing that meets actor’s union obligations.
- Organize and book air travel for the company.
- Keep calendar of all travel.
- Organize ground transportation for the company.
- Coordinate the shipping of company belongings to/from California.
- Provide artists with itineraries, maps, and directions while in residence.
- Provide for miscellaneous hospitality needs while in residence.
- Maintain accurate expense tracking.
COVID Safety Manager Duties (Decision-Making and Timely Response):
- Ensure that a COVID Safety Manager is on-call 7 days/week, 8:30 am – 10:30pm. Lead COVID Safety Manager will be primary contact; coordinate schedules for other unit managers to cover when Lead is not scheduled to be on-call.
- Assist the Stage Manager with decision-making about sending on understudies or cancelling rehearsals/shows, need for masks, or other adjustments.
- Coordinate with Front-of-House as needed, such as providing information about understudies going on or show cancellations.
- Maintain decision-making flowcharts and update with policy changes.
- Bring unique or concerning situations to the attention of the full COVID Safety Team.
COVID Safety Manager Duties (PPE and Cleaning):
- Purchase PPE (masks, spray cleaner, paper towels, hand sanitizer, and rapid tests).
- Track expenses for PPE and testing.
- Restock PPE regularly throughout the rehearsal and performance facilities.
- Ensure that custodial services are cleaning daily and properly; request and schedule additional cleaning when needed.
- During heavy rehearsal periods, such as tech, conduct additional cleaning sessions of high-touch surfaces throughout the day.
- During heavy rehearsal periods, such as tech, set up and break down additional breakroom space to assist with social distancing, such as: tables and tents on the loading dock and kitchen facilities in the lobby.
COVID Safety Manager Duties (Communication):
- Conduct first day of rehearsal safety presentation to company.
- Conduct follow-up orientations for company members who join later (eg, run crew).
- Send periodic reminders to company about updates on health and safety policy as needed.
- Answer production group questions about COVID safety.
- Advise production group members on applying/adhering to policy.
- Guide positive-testing employees through self-reporting and safe return to work.
COVID Safety Manager Duties (Surveillance Testing):
- Coordinate surveillance testing, which may be conducted using rapid tests or PCR lab-based tests.
- Collaborate with Stage Manager to schedule testing calls.
- Prepare rapid tests to be sent home with the production group with instructions.
- Supervise self-administered tests.
- Assist members of the production group in registering for required and/or voluntary testing.
- Communicate with testing company representative.
- Schedule courier pickups and follow-up to ensure they took place.
- Inventory and maintain testing supplies; request additional supplies as needed.
- Review test results promptly.
- Log test results.
- Reconcile invoices to ensure accurate billing.
COVID Safety Manager Duties (Record Keeping):
- Maintain the testing roster.
- Verify vaccination status of production group members, as required by union or university protocols.
- File safety protocol documents with unions.
- Update protocol documents on the company hub website.
- Fill out union-required reporting documents.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience as a COVID Safety Manager highly preferred.
- Prior experience in the professional theatre industry required.
- Experience navigating decision trees, whether formal or informal.
- Ability to communicate, written and orally, with a wide variety of people with professionalism, compassion, and discretion.
- Computer skills necessary to communicate via email, track budgets, place purchase orders, and reconcile expenses. Working knowledge of Word, Excel, Google Suite, Dropbox/Box, and Lucid Chart.
- Ability to develop vendor relationships and represent Court Theatre and the University of Chicago in a positive manner.
- Hold a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Owning a personal car is helpful, but not required. Mileage will be reimbursed for use of personal car.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings, weekends, and being on-call after working hours.
- Ability to work both onsite at Court’s facilities and remotely.
- Ability to work in residence with the Gospel company in Malibu, California from August 12 – Oct 1, 2023.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
- Three References with Contact Information (required)
Send required documents to email@example.com with the subject line “CMSP Search.”
About Court Theatre:
Court Theatre is the professional theatre of the University of Chicago, dedicated to innovation, inquiry, intellectual engagement, and community service. Serving as the Center for Classic Theatre, Court is a leading theatre both in Chicago and nationally, unique in that it engages deeply with lovers of theatre and classic texts, UChicago faculty and students, and South Side residents. A LORT-D company now in its 65th year of operation, Court produces 5-6 main stage shows per year on an intimate, 250-seat thrust stage.
Court Theatre is committed to engaging, with equity and intention, the communities of which we are a part: the South Side of Chicago, the University of Chicago, and the local and national theatre community, including Court’s own staff, freelance technicians, and guest artists. Court is dedicated to being an anti-racist organization and creating an environment where people of marginalized identities can feel safe and flourish. For more information about the theater, visit www.courttheatre.org.