Responsible for a seamless, comfortable, and engaging audience experience, the Associate Director of Marketing for Audience Services oversees group sales and student matinees for each production in Court’s season; manages the Front of House (FOH) team; creates and maintains positive and productive relationships with local restaurants, hospitality services, and vendors; and assists the Marketing Department communicate current and upcoming events at Court.
- Leads outreach, organization, and execution of group sales, student matinees and other student events, to achieve or exceed sales goals. Develops relationships with internal and external partners from various organizations. Manages partnership agreements and negotiates discounts, tickets and advertising. Manages events, including incoming group inquiries, price negotiations, deposits, seating, and post-play discussions.
- Recruits, hires, and supervises FOH staff, including, but not limited to, student box office assistants, house managers, bartenders/concessionaires, interns, and volunteer usher coordinators.
- Liaise with the Saints Ushers volunteer program to ensure appropriate staffing and coverage for performances.
- Maintains the cleanliness, appearance, and efficacy of Court’s facilities, including the Court Theatre lobby, lobby bar, and nearby parking areas. Manages the revenue and expenses related to concessions, maintains an inventory system, and orders new materials and supplies. Coordinates work assignments with student and temporary staff, including maintaining a clean space, stocking materials and supplies.
- Manages special groups or individuals attending opening night and/or other special events. Coordinates guest speakers for events and pre/post play receptions. Works with vendors and speakers to accommodate requests from group leaders.
- Manages ad sales for Court’s show programs to meet or exceed sales goals. Creates and sustains partnerships with local restaurants and businesses to magnify Court’s community outreach, increase sales, and develop fruitful collaborations. Solicits external partners who may want to advertise in Court Theatre productions. Develops an operation plan to manage ad sales, including order forms and pricing.
- Develops and executes patron surveys to solicit feedback for future enhancements. Responds to patron complaints escalated from box office staff and via email in an open, kind, and effective manner.
- Oversees accessibility services for performances and events.
- Supports and implements Court’s equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives – personally, when leading the staff/volunteer team, and in all patron interactions.
- Works independently to increase user adoption and customer satisfaction by developing programs to drive customer loyalty and retention.
- Uses breadth of knowledge and considerable on-the-job experience to assist in pre-sale activities, provide support continuity through the customer lifecycle, and ensure ongoing customer satisfaction.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Excellent customer service, communication skills and phone etiquette.
- Work efficiently and independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills, efficiency, and attention to details a must.
- Clear, regular, and transparent communication.
- Comfort with financial transactions, invoicing, contracts, and regular invoice payment.
- Remain pleasant during challenging situations.
- Foster partnership and collaboration.
- Communicate effectively and with influence.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ensure decision quality, accountability and drive results.
- Display emotional intelligence.
- Cultural competence; celebrate diversity and inclusion.
- Bachelor’s degree, undergraduate degree at a four-year accredited university.
- A minimum of three years of relevant professional work experience in nonprofit management, guest services, sales, or similar professional work experience.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Proficient in Windows based computer programs like Google Suite and Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of Audience View ticketing system preferred.
- Evening and weekend work during production runs.
To apply, view the job posting on the University of Chicago Employment site. Applications not submitted through the University of Chicago’s jobs site cannot be considered.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University’s Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.