Court Theatre, a department of the University of Chicago in Hyde Park, is seeking candidates for Floor Manager for its upcoming production of Two Trains Running by August Wilson.
The Floor Manager is an integral part of the stage management team. They serve as deck captain backstage and, with the oversight of the Equity ASM, manages all scene shifts, presetting and running of props, and assists with costume changes and special effects as necessary. Maintains a clean, orderly, safe, and professional workspace in all backstage areas during production runs, and oversees procurement of all perishables. Serves as second assistant stage manager during rehearsal weeks, helps prepare the backstage for tech rehearsals with running lights, carpet, safety taping, and prop shelves, and assists in the maintenance of the green room during run weeks.
The ideal candidates will possess the following skills and experience:
- A working knowledge of backstage theatre
- Experience in a professional theatre tech and run
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in Stage Management or other technical theatre tracks.
- Experience in minor prop and scenery repairs
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
Ability track a large number of details and respond to changes quickly
Offered Work Time Period:
- Earliest start date: Tuesday April 26, 2022
- Technical Rehearsals: May 5-19, 2022
- Performances: May 13-June 12, 2022
- Possible extension: June 15-26, 2022
* Performances are Wed 10:30am, Wed 7:30pm, Thurs & Fri 7:30pm, Sat & Sun 2pm and 7:30pm
- $21/hr, time and a half after 40 hours.
- W2 Wages paid biweekly as an employee of the University of Chicago.
- All University of Chicago employees accrue paid sick time in accordance with the City of Chicago’s Paid Sick Leave Ordinance.
- April 26 -May 1 – 1650 N. Halsted Ave (Steppenwolf Garage Theatre, Lincoln Park neighborhood)
- May 3 – June 26 – 5535 S. Ellis Ave (Court Theatre, in the Hyde Park neighborhood)
Send a resume, 3 professional references, and details of your availability to CourtTheatreHiring@gmail.com with the subject “Floor Manager”.
As a potential employee of the University of Chicago, candidates will need to pass a criminal background check prior to their first day.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status or status as an individual with disability. The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer. For additional information please see the University’s Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Court Theatre is committed to engaging, with equity and intention, the communities of which we are a part: the South Side of Chicago, the University of Chicago, and the local and national theatre community, including Court’s own staff, freelance technicians, and guest artists. Court is dedicated to being an anti-racist organization and creating an environment where people of marginalized identities can feel safe and flourish.