Court Theatre is the Tony Award-winning professional theatre of the University of Chicago, dedicated to innovation, inquiry, and engagement.
Functioning as the University’s Center for Classic Theatre, Court and its artists mount theatrical productions and audience enrichment programs in collaboration with faculty. These collaborations enable a re-examination of classic texts that pose the enduring and provocative questions that define the human experience. Now in its 69th year of operation, Court produces 4 to 5 main stage shows per year on an intimate, 250-seat thrust stage.
As a Court Theatre intern, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the critical functions of the theatre through its Marketing Department. Due to Court’s position as the Center for Classic Theatre of the University of Chicago, we only accept applications from UChicago students.
Job Title and Work Location:
Marketing Intern (Audience Services) | Full Season (Fall-Spring) | Court Theatre, Hyde Park
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Audience Services intern will work with the House Manager/Audience Development Associate, the Front of House team, and the Box Office team in a fast-paced and continuously evolving environment.
Responsibilities may include (but are not limited to):
- Supporting Court’s accessibility initiatives by adding alt text to images and collaborating with the House Manager/Audience Development Associate on open captioning
- Collaborating on the design of Court’s Fast Feedback surveys, soliciting and collecting patron feedback, and synthesizing the data into reports
- Organizing and analyzing patron demographic data
- Working with the House Manager/Audience Development Associate and Associate Director of Marketing to arrange, promote, and execute Student Nights throughout the season
- Supporting various special events throughout the season (including Opening Nights, First Preview Tastings, group outings, etc.)
- House managing and/or working in the Box Office
- Assisting Court’s outreach initiatives, as needed
- Aiding with day-to-day clerical tasks
- Other duties as assigned
This role should be comfortable sitting or standing for extended periods of time, they should be able to push/pull/lift or otherwise maneuver up to 30lbs, and they should have evening and/or weekend availability. This position will be compensated and will not exceed 10 hours per week.
The Audience Services intern must be a team player with strong interpersonal skills, excellent customer service and communication skills, attention to detail, and a sense of humor. Candidates must be outgoing, flexible, and willing to interact with a variety of patrons from diverse backgrounds.
An ideal candidate must be willing to learn, open to collaboration, and receptive to constructive feedback. Professionalism is paramount in this role, as is cultural competency and a commitment to DEI.
A background in data science, information science, and/or theatre is preferred.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Handshake.
The deadline to apply is Monday, October 16 and select candidates will be offered an interview. Interviews will be conducted within two weeks after the deadline.